Thursday 5 January 2012

Top Albums of 2011

Here are some of my personal favorites from 2011, not in any particular order. When thinking about this list I realized I hadn't checked out nearly enough new material released in 2011. I guess I was busy delving into older music and reviewing shitty (and some good) demos. Still, these are the 5 albums that really impressed me, or at least left an impression, this year.

3 Inches of Blood - Anthems for the Victorious
I used to really like this band, and then I didn't as I began to tire of their over the top rediculousness which comes across as forced and can be abrasive for the duration of an entire album. When the band ditched the 'core' vocals and the over-processed, over-bearing production of Fire Up The Blades for a stripped back and more 'real' sound on Here Waits Thy Doom, I was fairly impressed. And now with this new EP they've taken the more organic sound and songwriting further in the two tracks present. It's only available on vinyl, or I beleive as a download, but it's certainly worth checking out!

While Heaven Wept - Fear of Infinity
This band simply kicks ass. They started out as one of the leading epic doom metal bands alongside Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, their album "The Sorrow of Angels" being one of my fav doom albums ever. They've grown a lot more melodic and symphonic over the years and with their new album, a few of the songs are borderline power metal. While WHW has had spurts of fast melodic riffage in the past, hearing an album from these guys that hits the ground running rather than plodding along melancholically was a bit of a shock. But it kept me coming back for more. And there's still a nice dash of doom and gloom in there for good measure. My only complaint is that the albums seems way too short, but WHW does have a tendency to put out relatively short releases, so it wasn't too shocking. Still  really great epic, melodic metal.

Cauldron - Burning Fortune
This band makes me happy to be Canadian. This album has everything you could want from modern throwback-80s style traditional heavy metal, without any of the contrived, ty-hard bullshit that has a bad habit of cropping up in a lot of bands. The riffs are fairly simplistic, but they're all unbeleivably catchy and the result is an entire album of good, memorable songs, none of which sound like rip-offs of other bands which is a nice bonus. The vocals aren't exactly impressive technically, but they fit perfectly and the vocal melodies are fantastic and really help make the songs. The production is also perfect. It's organic and reminiscent of the 80s without sounding dated. I hear real drums, real amps and real singing and it makes me happy. This is the album from 2011 I've probably listened to the most, as I always seem to be in the right mood for it.

Manilla Road - Playground of the Damned

I love Manilla Road unconditionally, so I knew I would love this album. But it proved to be a somewhat challenging listen for me. This album is a departure from previous modern era Road albums. The bedroom budget 'modern' style heavier production of the past few albums is gone and replaced with a much more organic sound. Even though they've never had industry standard production, this album is especially thin sounding. However, I don't think this is a bad thing, as it doesn't hinder the songs, and I'm always happy when an album actually sounds like a band playing. The songwriting also at times seems to harken back to older albums, (cutting back a lot on the 'heaviness' of a lot of the songs on "Voyager") however there is no "Necropolis" on this album, or any real standout track. However, after several listens, every song began to reveal its brilliance. So, maybe don't expect to be blown away initially, but rather expect to enjoy this album more every time you hear it and to never get sick of it.

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
I could probably be classified as a Dream Theater fanboy. As much as I usually hate wanking, there are some bands that just turn it into magic and this one if my fav. I even enjoyed Octavarium and found bits and peices I could tolerate in SC and BCASL. However, I think with this new release that DT has produced their best album since at least Six Degrees, maybe even Scenes. The departure of Portnoy shook things up enough for the band to get their shit together and craft some really good songs, as well as get away from the tough-guy metal they were slipping farther and farther into. And Mike Mangini is a perfect fit, showcasing great technicality while keeping things subtle and letting the songs be songs. Comparisons to Images and Words may be somewhat valid, but there's a lot of their modern sound in here too, as well as something that just seems fresh about this album. The songs are complex, while still being catchy and fun to listen to. The lyrics, while nothing astounding, are exponentially better than they have been in a long time. The best part abou the album though, is that, while it nearly reaches the 80 minute mark, no song seems too long or dragged out. The band focused on writing the songs that, while long, aren't repetative or overstuffed with too much meaningless wank or misplaced blastbeats. They didn't forced out another 20 minute epic or anything, which is appreciated. This album is Dream Theater sounding like Dream Theater, not trying to be 'the prog band' or 'the metal band' and it comes across as genuine and enjoyable.


Posted by Tex





No comments:

Post a Comment